Monday, December 22, 2008

Where do people buy light other than IKEA?

My current town, halifax, doesn't have an IKEA because we're poor, and I need a cheap lantern (not 40$++ and NOT a desklamp). So I ran to a hardware store (Canadian Tire) and got these stuff:

Tracing paper, lamp base, 230 watt lamp, extension cord, plug, insulation foam

Since I'm an architecture student, tracing paper and foam are plenty, so those are free. Bought two of everything else since I want to make two lanterns. Total damage: 27$. Ouch. At least that's after the tax... WHY ARE plugs so freaking expensive? 0_o They're just plugs 0_O

One of the bulbs came out dead and the one that is good turned out to be too hot / bright for my room, so I'll prolly go back tomorrow and return them for a new and weaker pair.

Result for nao sitting on my buffet:

Now I can worry a bit less about lens fungus since my lens are getting some light.

Before

And after.

Moral of the story: IKEA is cheap

New question arising: Why is IKEA so cheap? Is my labor such a liability that it's actually cheaper to buy a finished product at IKEA than for me to make one myself with the raw ingredients?

No comments: